The video about Analysing Lightcurves on the LCO Instructions page shows you how to search the SIMBAD database for for young stellar objects that might be variable.
Basic steps are:
- Search for the target object (e.g. IC1396A) in SIMBAD
- Query around the object with a radius of say 20 – 30 arcmins
- Order the list of objects by Object Type ascending so that Y*O (young stellar objects) are at the top
- Search for interesting objects with V magnitudes of about 16 or brighter
- Enter the ID (e.g. 2MASS J21383981+5708470) of the object into the HOYS server lightcurve plot, search area 5 arcmins
- Plot the lightcurve
Screenshots are on the video.